The programme offers young people living in Kerry the opportunity to gain a qualification, develop their skills and knowledge and also to progress on to employment, further training or education.
All learners follow the Leaving Cert Applied Programme which is a two year Leaving Certiﬁcate which places particular emphasis on preparation for the world of work and life-long learning as well as being offered a variety of other opportunities such as work experience, enterprise education, career planning, community involvement, fun activities, mentoring and practical life skills. This programme is most suited to someone who prefers learning by doing and who would be motivated by continuous assessment. The LCA is accepted for a wide range of Post Leaving Certiﬁcate (PLC) courses at FETAC Level 5. It also provides access to most apprenticeships and other vocational training awards.
All learners on LCA Youthreach take the following subjects:
- Vocational Preparation and Guidance
- English and Communication
- Mathematical Applications
- Information and Communication Technology
- Arts Education
- Social Education
- Office Procedure and customer care
- Gaeilge Chumarsáideach
- Modern Language
- Leisure and Recreation
- Elective Modules based on the interests of the learners
- Extra-curricular activities on offer:
- Fun activities/outings that involve outdoor education, sports, art, music.
- Helping out in the local community
- Technology Skills
- Learning support
- Progression support
- Summer based activities
- Additional training programmes for example First Aid, Manual Handling, Safe pass, Customer Service Excellence and Driver Education